Monday, November 21, 2005

Just wondering

I watch, listen and read the news as much as I possibly can. No cable or Direct TV yet, hopefully soon though, but I do as much as I can to stay on top of things locally and nationally. Paying attention to things has me wondering about how New Orleans is going to comeback.

Most Americans just don't pay attention to what is going on around the country. Sure when a disaster happens, or a celebrity gets loaded and plows through a crowd, Americans notice. But when the fires are put out or the waters recede or a jury finds the movie star innocent because he lost out on being Han Solo in Star Wars, Americans move on. We look for the next sexy story or the next disaster to pay attention. I say we because I am a American too and I do it. We all do. It's part of who we are.

That's what has me wondering. The line of thinking being, New Orleans will struggle to survive until the levee's are at a level that a Katrina or a larger storm will not create what we're going through now. Levee's cost money. New Orleans has no money. Louisiana is broke. Even if the state or the city was printing it's own money, assistance will need to come from the federal government. My read, almost everyone I knows read, is that the Feds don't want to cough up the dough to pay for the massive levee SYSTEM that we be needed to save South Louisiana. My other read though is that its the politicians who don't want to give up taxpayer money to save one of our nation's states. But I believe that the majority of Americans want the federal government to do whatever it takes to rebuild the area. Not really want but EXPECT the feds to step up to the plate. If we can attempt to spread democracy throughout the world, then we can certainly PROTECT one of our national assets. We will rebuild our own city with our own hard work and dedication. But the Feds need to make our own safe just like the government treats the rest of the country.

Which is what I am wondering about- How do we keep Americans attention long enough to get them on their representatives to handle this situation?

1 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you wrong man u wanna live in the swamp then u need to pay to live there anyone knows neworleans is full of sinners anyway

 

Post a Comment

<< Home